Monday, February 23, 2009

COMFORT


I spent this weekend in Louisville KY at a conference for fitness professionals. And now I am sitting in the Philadelphia airport thinking over the people I met and things I learned over the past few days. Mainly about a conversation I had at supper last night with one of the top fitness professionals in the country.

First I must admit that going into this weekend I was a little nervous and unsure what it would be like but it turned out to be an amazing experience. I will include some of the highlights and information later.

The conversation got me to thinking about how we often live and approach life. We often live in bubbles. Safe secure lives. Never going outside our comfortable boxes. Going outside of our comfort zones is challenging. We often get comfortable and complacent with our lives. Most people simply don't like change.

It is at times when we face challenges and find ourselves in uncomfortable situations that we really find out the most about ourselves. Getting outside the lines is something I enjoy. How else will you know what's out there? Challenges stir up thoughts that we are not accustomed to. They make us adapt. Being outside of our box causes us to make a choice. We must get stronger to survive or we get weaker and die.

We do this in every aspect of our lives. We avoid change like the plague. Whether it be improving our diet, starting an exercise program, learning a new language, talking to new people, or even saying "I'm sorry", we often find excuses not to do it. It hurts. Its tough. Its not comfortable. Its a challenge.

I want to challenge you to challenge yourself this week. Do something different. Do something you need to do. Make yourself better. You can keep living inside your comfortable box or you can get outside your box and face the challenges so you can grow and thrive.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry